The Church of Saint Joseph of Djerba, is located in the town of Houmt Souk on the island of Djerba in Tunisia.
It is a Catholic church built in 1848 and enlarged in 1855.
The history of the building
The presence of many Italian and Maltese fishermen around the island of Djerba is at the origin of the construction of the first Catholic place of worship in Houmt Souk: they bought a hut belonging to the ben Ayed family and made a small church, square in appearance under the direction of Father Capuchin Gaétan de Ferrera.
One of the first events of the new prelate was to give the Spanish soldiers massacred in 1560 a proper Christian burial. The Christian cult collected their remains from Borj Ghazi Mostapha and buried them in the Christian cemetery.
In 2005 a presidential decree returned the church to Christians for worship, it was restored and decorated with copies of ancient Christian mosaics found in Tunisia.
A sacred Christian place
As we already know, Djerba is a place where all religions meet and live in harmony.
And that is why Christians, whether residents or tourists, can always go and attend church prayers.